Streaming has become one of the most popular free-time activities. To get your daily dose of entertainment, various streaming platforms serve up movies, shows, sports events, and so much more.
Nevertheless, geo-blocks, bandwidth throttling, and censorship can prevent you from having fun. Luckily, you can easily solve these issues with a VPN for streaming.
In this ultimate guide, we will reveal why you need a virtual private network and how it can make your streaming experience better.
Moreover, you’ll learn how to choose the right service and how to install it on almost any smart device. So, find out everything there is to know about VPNs and streaming.
What is a VPN, and how does it work?
A virtual private network is a technology that creates a secure and confidential tunnel between your device and the world wide web. It achieves this by encrypting your data, hiding your IP address, and spoofing your actual whereabouts.
According to tech experts at CoolTechZone, a VPN makes it seem like you are browsing or streaming from the remote server’s location rather than your real location.
That way, you can avoid geo-blocks and access the content and streaming platforms unavailable in your region.
Choosing the Right VPN for Streaming
When choosing a reliable streaming VPN, you should consider a few things. Here are a few key features that you should keep in mind while looking:
- Locations of the servers. The more regions the VPN covers, the better your chances of accessing geo-restricted content. Plus, look for a service that has hardware in a country where your wanted content is.
- Speeds. For minimal latency and the best connectivity, you need to pick a speedy VPN. During our analysis, services with the WireGuard tunneling protocol performed the best.
- Bandwidth. Streaming is no fun if there are any limitations. Therefore, avoid free VPNs (as they have data caps) and pick a tried & tested premium VPN.
- Encryption. If you are not careful enough, streaming can be dangerous. Hence, when picking a VPN, make sure it has top-tier AES-256 encryption to keep you safe.
- Privacy. To avoid data collection and privacy breaches, only pick a VPN that is based outside Fourteen Eyes’ jurisdiction and has an independently-audited zero-logs policy.
- Compatibility. You’ll probably want to stream your favorite shows and movies on a computer, smartphone, or TV. Therefore, make sure that your chosen VPN offers apps for all major OS.
Best Streaming Services to Unblock with VPN
VPNs allow you to change your location and access almost any streaming service. Here are a few best platforms that you can unblock:
|Streaming service||Countries available||Price||Things to watch|
|Netflix||190 countries but library size varies||From $8.99/month||Harry Potter, Stranger Things, Wednesday, etc.|
|Hulu||US and Japan||From $6.99/month||Atlanta, The Handmaid’s Tale, Parasite, etc.|
|BBC iPlayer||United Kingdom||Free||Drag Race UK, Cunk on Earth, Killing Eve, etc.|
|9Now||Australia||Free||Australian Survivor, 90-Day Fiance, Teen Titans Go, etc.|
|TV Tokyo||Japan||Free||Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sonic, etc.|
|YouTube TV||US||$72.99/month||Survivor, Archer, NFL, etc.|
As you can see, some of these platforms require a paid subscription. Nevertheless, there are plenty of free streaming services that you can enjoy with a VPN.
Conclusion: VPNs and Streaming 2023
While many streaming platforms offer different content or are outright blocked in your country, that won’t be much of a problem with a VPN.
By encrypting your data, changing your IP address, and spoofing your location, a VPN will instantly give you access to more shows and movies than ever before.
But remember, you need a reliable VPN. Otherwise, bypassing geo-blocks and firewalls will be a tough task.
A top-tier streaming virtual private network should have plenty of servers globally, phenomenal speeds, and other features that will make your viewing experience a lot better.
So, do your research, pick the best one, and happy streaming!