Let’s see if anyone here has been here before. There is a problem with a restricted category on Amazon that stops you from moving forward with your killer selling idea. In this article, you will learn how to get ungated on Amazon in 2022 so you can really rock it.
- How Does Being “Ungated On Amazon” Work?
- What Is The Reason For Amazon’s Gated And Ungated Categories?
- What is the procedure for becoming ungated on Amazon?
- 10 Tips To Help You Get Ungated On Amazon
- 1. Indicate your supplier’s or sales representative’s contact information
- 2. Send a finalized invoice
- 3. Invoices should not be edited
- 4. Pay attention to the address
- 5. Change your Amazon service agent
- 6. Measure performance well
- 7. Choose recognizable brands
- 8. Convert product ID numbers to ASIN
- 9. During regular business hours in the US, submit the application
- 10. Take advantage of Amazon’s ungating service
- When does Amazon ungate products?
How Does Being “Ungated On Amazon” Work?
There’s a phrase you’ve probably heard everywhere: ungated on Amazon. Why is that? What if you’re a seller and this gets in your way?
This simply means that Amazon restricts certain brands, categories, or subcategories from being sold. By doing so, new sellers are prevented from jumping into the marketplace without being approved.
So, when we refer to your goods as “ungated on Amazon”, we just mean that they have been approved for sale.
If the gate is closed (gated), then it isn’t possible to sell anything. You can sell everything if the gate is up (ungated).
All Amazon sellers are subject to gating and ungating, regardless of whether you dropship on Amazon or sell through Amazon FBA. Plus, ungating allows you to expand your selling opportunities, especially in less competitive categories.
There may be fewer sellers competing for sales in some categories since not everyone gets ungated. A low level of competition increases your chances of capturing online shoppers!
If you are looking for the best Amazon FBA seller tool, try the Helium 10 Review and see if its worth
What Is The Reason For Amazon’s Gated And Ungated Categories?
There might be a question in your mind as to why Amazon has an ungated policy rather than a gated one. I find the whole process of being an Amazon seller very confusing, to put it mildly!
Amazon imposes its restrictions for a variety of reasons, including:
- Safety – ensuring a product is safe to consume.
- Liability – protects the consumer, seller, and even Amazon from any legal or health issues.
- Brand Integrity – maintaining a brand’s integrity and controlling the supply chain.
- Consumer Confidence – ensuring high quality standards and a positive user experience (UX).
- Fair Pricing – protects consumers in times of product shortages or extraordinary circumstances from unscrupulous sellers.
These two reasons tend to cause the most stringent restrictions – safety and liability. If products are mishandled or mislabeled, they can be unsafe for consumers. As discussed in the last section, Health & Personal Care falls under this category.
Furthermore, brands that are frequently counterfeited are usually subject to Brand Integrity restrictions or Consumer Confidence restrictions. There’s unfortunately no shortage of dishonest sellers who purchase knockoff products and then resell them as genuine products. Most commonly, counterfeit electronic and clothing products are sold.
Therefore, Amazon restricts access to these categories, subcategories, or brands. Selling these items requires that you “prove” that you are a responsible, trustworthy, and legitimate seller. The gated versus ungated categories are a result of this.
What is the procedure for becoming ungated on Amazon?
Fortunately, the Amazon ungating application process is fairly straightforward. Here are the basic steps to follow.
- Set up an Amazon Professional Seller account, which costs $39.99 a month.
- Select Add A Product under Inventory in Seller Central.
- If you decide not to sell that particular product after the ungating, then find a product in a category, subcategory, or brand you want to sell. If you look for products by their names, brands, or ASINs (Amazon Standard Identification Numbers) you can do so.
- The Click Listing Limitations appear next to the search result.
- Click the Request Approval button. There are certain subcategories for which Amazon does not accept ungating applications.
It depends on which category or subcategory you’re trying to unregister for. Although most of them will require further documentation, some are more difficult and involved than others.
Included in this are:
- A detailed invoice (with your supplier’s contact information)
- If you are purchasing wholesale, ask the manufacturer/brand owner to send you a letter.
- There is a monetary fee
- Documentation or additional information
There may be additional requirements as well. An ungated position in the Fine Arts category requires three years of experience. Medical Products must be FDA-approved, and strict seller guidelines must be followed.
Applicants for ungating in some categories aren’t always accepted by Amazon.
At any given time, Amazon doesn’t state why it isn’t accepting applications. The Amazon ungating process can be extremely secretive at times, so they might have a backup of applications or may be revamping requirements.
When does Amazon ungate products?
This question does not have a simple answer: it depends.
Depending on the conditions, ungating on Amazon can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Some categories are easier to obtain approval for than others. Furthermore, if you’re a seasoned vendor with a good track record, it will expedite the approval procedure.
In categories with Automatic Approvals, approvals can be almost quick. As a result of your seller record and performance indicators, you were able to receive quick access to the seller portal.
When this happens, an email with the subject line “Congratulations” is normally sent out. According to your performance history, your application for selling [brand/category name] has been approved.
However, depending on the category and the amount of paperwork required, the approval procedure can take two to four weeks. If there is a big flood of applications, there may not be enough Amazon service agents to process all incoming applications, and you may have to wait much longer.
If your ungating application is not accepted, it will be refused. The majority of the time, service agents give a justification for their conduct. However, the application may be refused without explanation on occasion, and this is not always the case. It’s fairly uncommon for an agent to just tell you that the information is “private” and that you should reapply.
If your application is rejected, you have 14 days to appeal or submit whatever documentation they require.