If you have every tried flashing a Samsung smartphone, then you must have heard of Odin. Odin is a simple and common tool that is used for flashing Samsung devices. This tool comes is very handy when it comes to rooting or flashing Samsung phones, it allows Samsung phone users to customize their phone with a vast number of Android ROMs and other tweaks.
However, Odin does not support all the desktop OS platform. You can only use Odin on your Windows operating system, as it comes for Windows support only. So, if you have a Mac or Ubuntu and can’t figure out a way to root your Samsung smartphone, you have come to the right place. In this article, I will tell you how you can use Odin in your Mac / Ubuntu OS and flash your phones easily. Keep reading…
About Odin / JOdin3
As already mentioned, Odin helps you flash your smartphone easily. Apart from flashing, by using Odin/ JOdin3, you can also do many other things like performing recoveries, unlock bootloaders or modem files on Samsung Galaxy device. Not only that this tool will also help you unbrick, unroot and return back to stock firmware on your devices. The tool actually very useful when you are unable to find a way to fix your unbricked phone. You can restore your device to complete stock firmware without typing any codes, just by using this tool.
Odin / JOdin3 For Mac
Actually this tool, Odin only came for Windows and could not support another OS platform. However, as the use and popularity of this tool increased, developer ported this tool to other platforms as well. Adam Outler, a famous XDA developer has ported Odin3 to MAC OS and named it as JOdin3. So now Mac users can also use this handy tool to flash their Samsung Galaxy devices.
- Also, read this guide on how to download Bydia
You can easily Download & Install Odin/JOdin3 for MAC OSX. This requires no expertise and installing and using this tool is very simple.
Features Of JOdin3:
After porting Odin to JOdin3 , it has become much easier to use and got a lot of new features. Here is list of the features of JOdin3 :-
- Easy to use interface on your Mac
- Easy flashing Samsung smartphone.
- Platform independent
- Supports MacBook (OSX) / Ubuntu OS / Windows OS
- Easily flash custom ROMs, stock ROMs, and much more
- Access via JOdin3 via the internet make use of all the features
So why to go through all the complex process of rooting and flashing your Samsung phones when you have a much simpler process, just by using JOdin3 .
Pre-Requirements Before Using JOdin3:
- Download and install the latest version of Java on your Mac OS.
- Download and install the latest version of Heimdall your MacBook.
- If you have Samsung KIES installed on your MacBook, make sure to uninstall it.
- Download your root or recovery files, as required.
- Use the original USB cable to connect your Android device to your MacBook.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your Galaxy device.
- Download JOdin3 for Mac/Ubuntu/Windows (link provided below).
Note: You won’t be able to flash large files using JOdin as JOdin3 doesn’t support flashing large files, e.g. Firmware files.
How To Use JOdin3 On Mac:
- You have two option, you can either access JOdin3 online or download the JOdin3 offline version.
- Now, open the online JOdin3 or the downloaded JOdin3 on your MacBook.
- Click on the “PDA” tab or your desired tab.
- Now select .tar.md5 file.
- Now, put your Samsung Galaxy in download mode( To boot into download mode, switch off your phone completely. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home + Power Key.). After entering the download mode, connect it to your MacBook.
- Uncheck all the options in JOdin3 (if not already) except for the Auto-Reboot option.
- Click the “Start” button now, JOdin3 will ask you for PIT file of your device.
- Finally, follow all the instructions on your screen in order to successfully flash your device.
This is one of the simplest methods of flashing your Samsung Galaxy devices. Now you don’t have to go through all the hassle of following some complex codes and stuff. Just download and install JOdin3 on your MAC or Windows or Ubuntu and start flashing and tweaking your devices.